'The Island of Doctor Moreau' - Project Page

1 Conversation

The Island of Doctor Moreau
'The Island of Lost Souls' |
The 1977 Film |
The 1996 Film
A shield depicting the masks of tragedy and comedy, a violin and a Greek column.
  • Project Name: The Island of Doctor Moreau
  • Field Researcher: Bluebottle
  • Faculty: Faculty Of Arts and Entertainment
  • Start Date: August 2013
  • End Date: 4 September 2013
  • Assisting Sub-editor: Gosho

Articles In The Project:

Conversations And Related Articles:

Back-Up Copies

As the author I plan to make a copy of the entire project for their own safe-keeping. This is because it is the project pages themselves that are subbed (not copies, as is the case for Edited Entries), so in the unlikely event of the Sub accidentally deleting a page, I have a back-up.

The Story Behind The Article

This started life as a Flea Market Rescue of hatameiwaku's article The Island Of Dr. Moreau, I didn’t read that part, about the 1996 film adaptation. This is a film my wife bought on VHS. When looking in the library to see whether they had a copy of the novel, so I could compare the film to the original, I discovered that they had both earlier adaptations on VHS, as well as the director's cut of the 1996 film. So it seemed to make sense to write about all three versions.

The 1932 film is quite good, the 1977 is okay, not bad, not brilliant, not particularly memorable. The 1996 film is definitely in the 'so unbelievably bad it really is quite fascinating' category.

If anyone is interested, the reason I go on about legendary make-up artist Wally Westmore so much, it is because I have reason to believe that my great-great-aunt married his father's cousin. A fairly tenuous and insignificant claim to fame, true, but it's the only one I've got!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87806118

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more