The h2g2 Post 04.05.06

2 Conversations


Posted: 4th May 2006


 

 


An Apology and a Celebratory Remark


Before we can properly get underway with this week's editorial, I must apologise for the somewhat bare and slipshod nature of this week's edition of The Post. Unfortunately, real life has descended rather sharply upon my colleagues (not to mention Monday's unscheduled downtime), resulting in a time crunch and a scramble to get The Post together. Rest assured that regular service — including cartoons, photos and other absent elements — will resume next issue.

The point, of course, that must be touched upon in this editorial — and, indeed, the event that you all realise must be the focus of today's editorial — is h2g2's seventh birthday. On Friday last, 28 April, h2g2 became another year older. This fair site of ours has now seen seven years of ups and downs, of server troubles and complete disappearance from the Internet. Friendships have been made and deeper relationships forged. h2g2 babies and pets have their own Personal Spaces. Seven years ago last Friday the vision of a man called Douglas Noel Adams became reality.

Of course, we may ruminate all we like about whether h2g2 has fulfilled DNA's vision thus far and whether it can and does continue to do so. We can complain about downtime and profanity filters and the BBC's adminstration all we like. We can say that things aren't the same as they were before the Beeb took over and bemoan the departure of some of the founding Researchers.

But before we get too bogged down in pouting and sulking, I think we all have to acknowledge that we owe h2g2 an enormous debt. Granted, some Researchers aren't as immured in the site — dare I say 'obsessed' — as others. Some frequent only a few threads or have nurtured a single entry through to the Front Page; others spend hours here, have amassed a plethora of volunteer duties and devote their lives to this site. And whether for good or for ill, I have to say that I've fallen into the latter category. Perhaps I speak too much for myself and not entirely in my role as the Editor of The Post when saying this, but h2g2 has meant so much to me over the past months. It is my playing field and my workplace as I have grown taller and older and perhaps a little more mature. It has taught me everything from facts from history to important life lessons and for both types of knowledge I am eternally grateful. Of course, The Post has a huge debt to h2g2 as well, for the simple reason that we would not exist without it. I know I've enjoyed my tenure in this position and hope that I can speak for other editors, past and present, in that as well.

So happy birthday, h2g2! You make a poor, devoted soul very, very proud. Raise a glass, ladies and gentlemen, to the best website on the Net; here's to many more happy birthdays to come.smiley - bubbly


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A11039988

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more