The h2g2 Post 14.02.08

0 Conversations


Posted: 14th February 2008


 

 


Do you know what day it is?

Yes, that's right: it's the anniversary of Captain Cook's and PG Wodehouse's deaths; the day Oregon was admitted as a state; the day the USSR finally adopted the Gregorian calendar; the day IBM was founded; the day the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, first convened; the day the fatwa against Salman Rushdie was issued; and the birthday of notables such as Jimmy Hoffa and NY Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

You'll notice I didn't mention the unofficial holiday celebrated the world over on 14 February that involves roses and hearts and lace and colours like pink and red. This is because the aforementioned celebration, whose name I will not mention because it pains me so, is depressing. Just plain smiley - bleeping depressing. It's not even one of those holidays like Christmas, with a strong cultural and religious tradition only somewhat skewed by commercialism. Today's observance was an obscure saint's day before it became the bastion of buying that it is now. I hate the values that it reinforces: that boyfriends or girlfriends can be bought off with roses or a fancy dinner; that lovers (particularly those of my age group, still in school) need to rely on material aspects to demonstrate their love, and can only do that in one day out of the year; that true-love romance is the only way to be and that anyone who's single, who prefers friends to lovers or who doesn't fit the sickly-sweet concept of affection is somehow messed-up. Even happily in-love couples can be easily sidelined on this day, as the celebration of all that is societally-sanctioned in romantic myth leaves out folks in "alternative" relationships such as same-sex partnerships.

Yes, we've got some *ahem* themed pieces in The Post this week, and that's because we certainly need something to balance out my vitriol. But as far as I'm concerned, the day that there are no "Love Shout-Outs" in my school newspaper is the day we've taught our young people a more valuable lesson about how to confront love and relationships in their lives.

Oh, and by the way, enjoy this very run-of-the-mill, non-holiday issue of The Post.


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS
 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A29618409

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more