h2g2 Post 28.02.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 28th February 2000

Welcome to edition 12 of the Post.

This week, having been 'out of England', I was interested to read that British Telecom was disrupted on Friday when two of its' computers crashed. The fault hit calls to the National Health Service help-line, the Samaritans, two motoring rescue organisations (just as well I managed to change the flat tyre I found on my return without too many problems!), gas companies, banks, and rail inquiries. So... if you were in despair over your health, bank account or lack of utilities, you couldn't even phone for comfort. Engineers had to work through the night to correct the situation.

Further afield, cyber vandals hit the FBI's web address this week. The bureau, which is currently investigating the disruption of other Internet sites recently, itself became the victim when the hackers shut down its' site for three hours during the week.
Let us hope that they can sort out the problem soon!

On a more promising note, the creation of new magnetic microchips is predicted to lead to more efficient computers and other electronic devices. Cambridge University's new chips store data through tiny magnetic fields, and test versions are up to 40,000 times more efficient than the current chips! Most existing chips can store up to
6.6m transistors in a square millimetre, but this could rise to 250,000m in time.

Another advantage is that magnetic models use far less energy during use. Sounds good to me!

On with the Post then!

shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • Another look into the life of one of the h2g2 researchers. This week we've picked on Joanna.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems, therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless. Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • Wowbagger



  • The 'Fab' four get Wowbaggers treatment this week.

  • h2g2 Life



  • Cats and computers. They don't mix.

  • Week In, Week Out


  • A cynical look at current affairs brought to us by an h2g2 researcher.

  • Animal Antics

  • Strange stories about animals that have been appearing in the press this week.


  • h2g2 Site of the Week

  • There are some really good user pages in h2g2.

    We're going to start pointing some of them out.

  • Furry Stories



  • The BooK NooK returns! In the first part this week

    the team look at books about rabbits.

  • Best Sellers

  • In the second part of this week's BooK NooK we bring you

    the best sellers throughout the globe

  • Freebies!

  • In the name of research, we tried to make a bit of money

    from surfing the net. Here's what we found.

  • Wait a Minute


  • Do you have an article awaiting approval?

    One of our reporters had a look into the

    current average waiting times.

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles. Whether you're
    writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling, grammar
    or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read
    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A474806

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more