The h2g2 Post: 21.10.19

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 21st October 2019

Of Dark and Stormy Nights,
and other October Stuff.

Halloween Castle by Tavaron It's that time of year again. The time when we stroll through the aisles of the discount store, staring at candy and wondering: will we have enough? Will we have too much? If we have too much and get stuck with the stuff, which of these unhealthy treats can we actually eat? Would it be frowned upon if we tried to give the excess to the Sunday School? Would we be sued by dentists?

Halloween Castle by Willem
In short, the frost is on the pumpkin, the darkness is coming earlier, the full moon looks spooky, and it will soon be Halloween and/or Guy Fawkes, so get your costumes and incendiary materials ready.

As is suitable for this time of year, we've included some scary photos and a couple of tales that should make you shiver and draw closer to the fire. One, by FWR, offers a unique take on the question of the zombie apocalypse. In response to a suggestion, I've dug up an old, scary story from the UnderGuide, what I wrote, suitable for the occasion. Caveat lector: this one's mean.


All is not gloomy this week. We have cheerful images from all over. Solnushka shows us the Bolshoi by night. Paigetheoracle is on a mad photographic spree through the Highlands. As part of the black-and-white challenge, BobI brings us another statue from China. An amazing flower grows in Tavaron's Austrian garden, while Willem's paintbrush brings another vulture to life. Enjoy these glimpses of global beauty, and share them with your friends. That's what they're for.

Minorvogonpoet takes on the Create theme of change with a personal story. Whether this particular change brought our heroine a rest, or merely a whole lot of work and headache, is something you'll have to discuss with her.

There are things to read, puzzle out, contribute to, and laugh over in these pages. Please do all that. Our contributors have worked hard to make your October an intellectually rewarding one. Speaking of intellectually rewarding, it took 27 seconds for Freewayriding's biker friends to identify that motorcycle from my black-and-white photo. Your Editor has been dubbed the 'Suzie Q of the biker world.' (It's a moto guzzi.)

Remember to send more photos, stories, and Create essays to the Post at postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com. And be planning your November project! Get the candy and mulled cider ready, and settle in with this issue.




Special Invite:
30 Hours in Hooverville by Freewayriding
If you are interested in joining the Post NaJoPoMo fiction-writing project, '30 Hours in Hooverville', see the Post Editor for character assignment and awkward explanations. You have other journal plans? No worries! The NaJoPoMo journals will continue site-wide during November. For more on Hooverville, see this issue.


Have a great week, all of you.



Quote of the Week:  We catch a lot of sharks which are interesting, but it's not a great idea to put a 5-ft shark in the boat. We generally take a pic and move on.

Mrs McGillicuddy



Create October 2019 by Freewayriding
October Create Challenge:
Is a Change as Good as a Rest?


Dmitri Gheorgheni

COLOURFUL WORLD

ENTERTAINMENT


CHIAROSCURO

CARTOONS AND ANIMATION
SPOOKY STUFFZ
Parental Advisory
COMIX


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87949183

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more