The h2g2 Post 19.06.23

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 19th June 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue: A goat kid standing on a cinder block, a mysterious tombstone-shaped sign, a duck with ducklings in a river, a peacock butterfly on a rock, a heterochromic cat on a cushion, a blue butterfly, and a dog in the river shaking water everywhere. The title is Go with the Flow.

Before we get started, the Editor feels obliged to confer virtual kudos upon the Guide Editors – SashaQ, Galaxy Babe, and Bluebottle – for their heroic achievement in the restoration of our purloined Guide Entries. All but half a dozen of them have been restored, and the rest will be shortly. We also thank Brewster Kahle and the Wayback Machine for helping in the rescue effort. This is indeed the age of miracles and wonders.

This week, we go with the flow. It's a pretty strong current, though, so do try and keep up. The issue may look shorter this week, but it's not, really: there's a ton to read and enjoy. Remember that last week, three of our ongoing stories finished up.

At least, that's what we thought happened. A startling development occurred on Friday, when, in response to feedback from his fellow authors, FWR decided to extend his novella, entitled Balance of Probabilities (what were the odds?). He promises surprises. The other three of us are still soldiering on: this week, more weird doings in Caiman's alternative universe, while Tavaron's architects run for cover and her detective manages to get some answers out of the least forthcoming suspect I've ever read about. In the meantime, my donkey caravan finally reaches Nineveh, that great city, where they find: more donkeys. Okay, and some other stuff. Keep reading. I promise we're all going somewhere with it. And if you still haven't caught up with Paulh and SashaQ (who really are finished), remember that you can always do so by clicking on the archive link at the bottom of each story.

Bluebottle continues to intrigue us with his storytelling. Drop in to see what mayhem the vampires of the Isle of Wight have manage to cause this week. BB's also found us a ghost cemetery. We don't know if it has extra ghosts or if they're buried there.

Speaking of fiction, we're not done yet: FWR got inspired (by me, he claims) to have a religious conversation. The religious person in question is very fond of a particular word, he says. You'll guess what it is after you read the story that came out of all this. And if that weren't enough, Paigetheoracle has penned a poem from the point of view of a popular character. So there's plenty to entertain you here. And if that's not enough, go see the movie Awix is talking about. Or just read the review: it's riveting all by itself.

That's not all, though. People have been everywhere and seen just about everything. Paulh wants to let you know about a celebrity encounter he had, while Willem wants to introduce you to a new bird. Sho shows off her daughter's new kitty, Paige lets his dog splash us from the River Averon, and Mrs Hoggett has a new goat. There are butterflies and flowers and snails. I tell you how to go to Europa: no, not Europe, silly, the moon of Jupiter. You can get your ticket from NASA.

So take time away from your worrying about the weather and Schadenfreude over the fall of politicians and look at nature with us, enjoy some tall tales, and have a laugh or two. Send Stuff, leave comment, and have a brilliant week, wherever you happen to be.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: In my almost 101 years, while I have served other posts, I have been, at my core, a writer.

A writer who struggled and anguished to put words to paper that would provoke, create conversation, humanize us, help us see each other -- words that would matter.


– Norman Lear
A Shih Tzu with a strategy.


June 2023 Post Challenge:
What Are Your Metaphor Memories?


Video Extra:
English Robin Taking a Bath
Click here in Ripley


DISCOVERY
White-Tailed Shrike

White-Tailed Shrike by Willem.

MENTAL EFFORT

  • Video
  • Bird feeder buddies.


MEET AND GREET


Holly Blue

A male holly blue butterfly, by Galaxy Babe.


EXPERIENCED




Luna Makes a Splash
Luna the black dog splashing in the river, by Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88028184

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more