The Venus Transit 2004

1 Conversation

Picture by Xyroth

Due to circumstances beyond our control this picture may not show immediately. Please right-click on the red cross and select 'show picture' and it should eventually appear.

Not seen since 1882, the much-heralded transit of Venus across the face of the Sun occured on the 8th June between the times of 6.19am and 12.23pm, just as predicted1.

Unfortunately the astronomical phenomena was not visible from every part of the Earth. This map shows the world visibility of the transit. Man's technological advancement nullified this slight obstacle - those who were interested but unable to be in the viewing path, were able to log on and see the transit live on the world wide web, or watch on television.

Sir Patrick Moore watched the transit in Selsy, Sussex, England, with Dr2. Brian May3 for the BBC programme 'The Sky at Night', the longest-running tv programme in the history of television.

Scientists and astronomers can use the data gathered from transits to help in the search for extrasolar planets.

Links

Xyroth's photos

Venus and the Chromosphere

Venus at the edge

Venus transit at sunrise

Transit of Venus

On the Shoulders of Giants

Much Hoole and Jeremiah Horrocks

H2G2 Astronomy Society

Photos by R.Daneel Olivaw's Dad's friend

Sight of the century

Researchers who witnessed the transit

Galaxy Babe

17.06.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Thank you Jeremiah Horrocks.2Not a medical doctor.3He studied astronomy at University before forming Queen with drummer Roger Taylor4'I TRIED the pinhole thing....I TRIED the binoc thing....I finally found it on BBC News24'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2753165

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more