Alton Towers Meet 2002

20 Conversations

Researchers enjoying the delights of Alton Towers

After the success of the first Alton Towers meet in 2001, another bigger, better meet-up is being planned for 2002.

As per last year, this will be a weekend-long meet, with accomodation in the form of camping/caravans, at The Star campsite near Alton Towers..

The meet is to be held on the weekend of 13/14/15 September, outside the main holiday season, but when the weather should be fairly good still.

This map shows the Alton Towers area, including theme park, campsite, and pub. Alton Towers theme park is to the lower right of the map, the campsite is shown to the north and slightly west of AT, just below a place called Cotton, and the pub is literally just south-west of the campsite.

For anyone travelling by rail, a list of local stations is shown in the left hand box of this link, but main stations are Uttoxeter and Stoke-on-Trent. Last year, those travelling by train arrived at Stoke station and were taxied to the campsite by fellow researchers.

For the insider info on what's happening (and happened) at Alton Towers, take a look at the Alton Towers Almanac.

What Happened in 2001?

Last year, on 28-30 September, we camped at The Star camping and caravanning park, which is about 150 yards from the very friendly Star Inn1 and a brisk walk or short drive from the theme park itself. Most researchers arrived Friday evening and departed Sunday afternoon.

Friday evening involved a visit to the local hostelry, as well as a trip or two to the railway station, to collect those that had travelled by train.

Saturday involved a day of spills and thrills in the theme park2, before returning to camp and patronising the pub again.smiley - alesmiley - winkeye

Sunday saw another day in the park, somewhat wetter than the day before, despite sticking to the 'dry' rides!.

The Star Campsite

We stayed at The Star Caravan and Camping Park, which has pitches for tents and touring caravans, and also mobile homes to let. The campsite has free showers, a shop, a play areasmiley - bigeyes and all the usual facilities.

The charge in 2001 was £4 per night per tent/caravan (unoccupied), plus £2 per person. The gates to the site close at 11.30pm and re-open at 7.45am.

Ticket Prices (2001)

Standard ticket price was £22 for a day. You could pre-book a 2-day ticket for £31. However, before leaving the park on the first day, you had the option to buy a return ticket for the next day for just £10. This is an additional bonus to any discounts got off the first day.

In 2001, the campsite owner provided us with brochures which allowed us to get the second day in the park free, when paying full-price for the first day. There are also often special offers to be found, such as BOGOF3 vouchers.

Generally speaking, unless you really want to, there doesn't seem much need to pre-buy tickets. The one advantage of pre-buying is that you can get into the park half-an-hour earlier, assuming you are awake that early!smiley - sleepy

Return to Alton Towers (RAT) 2002

If you are interested in attending, please subscribe to this page, and post your name in the forums below. You can also mail us.

Potential Attendees

If you need transport from the railway station, or are not in possession of a tent, why not post below and state your requirements. Of course, individuals are welcome to make their own accomodation arrangements, if they prefer.

1This particularly hospitable establishment also serves food.2When we had finally all woken up!3Buy One Get One Free

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A676866

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more