h2g2 Citations - 2004

0 Conversations

[Prev]part of an unofficial archive of h2g2 citations[Next]
News: The International Herald Tribune, 31 Jan, 2004
Section: Finance; Pg. 11
Title: editor's CHOICE / Best Web bets, from a personal point of view
Author(s): Meg Bortin
Ref: You think you speak the language, but when you get to your destination country, you're suddenly lost. Meg Bortin, an IHT editor and erstwhile globehopper, recommends the following sites to help you get from your home language into the local argot and back again: .... A tamer selection of American terms is available at www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A128143
h2g2 link: A128143 - American Slang
h2g2 author: Cheerful Dragon et al
Notes: URL links to Alabaster version.

News: Sydney Morning Herald (Australia), 4 Dec, 2004
Section: Computers; Icon; Pg. 10
Title: Religious discord: Topical, scripture this
Author(s): Nick Galvin
Ref: For more help on the meaning of Discordianism (a tautology if ever there was one), check out the entry at the BBC's h2g2 site (www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A258608). Here you'll find Discordians believe: "All things are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true, false, and meaningless in some sense." Glad we've cleared that up.
h2g2 link: A258608 - Discordianism
h2g2 author: Reverend 'id'
Notes:

A sword lying on a white shirt with a red cross, as worn by the Knights.
Book: The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code (Harvest House, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Richard Abanes
Ref: "The false ideas in The Da Vinci Code may have come from a BBC Internet article on the Knights Templar. This article makes an assertion that is nearly identical to Dan Brown's: 'The Templars devised the modern banking system.' Oddly, this same BBC information site, in an article about banking, clarifies the issue: 'The basic idea of banking, and the typical services offered, can be traced back to medieval times.' The article then states quite clearly, 'Modern banking originated in Europe in the 17th Century'." Footnotes: BBCi, "The Knights Templar", March 13, 2000, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A272558. BBCi, "Banking," August 25, 2000, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A416530.
h2g2 link: A272558 - The Knights Templar
h2g2 author: Adz
Notes:

grouped road signs and traffic light Large
News: The Register, 17th September 2004
Title: FSB FUD over FOI, you cry - The postbag, and your miscellaneous musings
Author(s): Lucy Sherriff
"Ref: I don't understand why we need a wikipedia (or is that wikipoedia) when we have the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Guide to Life, The Universe and Everything (http://www.h2g2.com) - particularly as the wikipedia does not contain an entry for The Hanger Lane Gyratory System?

Best Regards

Robert Ladyman

Indeed. Even the most ardent of Wiki fans, surely, would have to admit that it is a catastrophic failure on the part of any depository of information claiming equal status with an encyclopaedia to have overlooked the Hanger Lane Gyratory System."
h2g2 link: A303346 - The Hanger Lane Gyratory System
h2g2 author: IanG
Notes: 1. URL not specified, but article clearly refers to A303346.

Book: The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code (Harvest House, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Richard Abanes
Ref: "The false ideas in The Da Vinci Code may have come from a BBC Internet article on the Knights Templar. This article makes an assertion that is nearly identical to Dan Brown's: 'The Templars devised the modern banking system.' Oddly, this same BBC information site, in an article about banking, clarifies the issue: 'The basic idea of banking, and the typical services offered, can be traced back to medieval times.' The article then states quite clearly, 'Modern banking originated in Europe in the 17th Century'." Footnotes: BBCi, "The Knights Templar", March 13, 2000, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A272558. BBCi, "Banking," August 25, 2000, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A416530.
h2g2 link: A416530 - Banking
h2g2 author: The Dancing Tree
Notes:

Faeries playing around with a quill and ink and scribbling on to a scroll of parchment paper
Book: Writing a children's book: how to write for children and get published (How To Books Ltd, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Pamela Cleaver
Ref: "An interesting site if you want to create a fairy tale is www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A425800. You can select from ten different story lines, add three or four story elements from a selection of fifty, then put your own spin on it. "
h2g2 link: A425800 - Do-It-Yourself Fairy Tale Kit
h2g2 author: Fragilis
Notes:

Patent: GB 2395163 (A), 19 May, 2004
Title: A plastic mat with an adhesive surface and a method of manufacture of same
Author(s): Aitkenhead, Matthew
Ref: h2g2 Blu-Tack WWW.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/a493553
h2g2 link: A493553 - Blu-Tack
h2g2 author: The Apprentice
Notes: 1. h2g2 reference document cited by Examiner as "X - Document indicating lack of novelty or inventive step"
2. Abstract begins: "A mat device 4 comprises a plastics material, wherein part or all of the surface of said mat possesses adhesive properties. The mat device may be formed from a polyurethane gel which has an inherently sticky surface, where the adhesive surface is on one ..."
3. Links to the Alabaster skin.

Journal: International Legal Perspectives 14 (2004)
Article: Dubious Designation: How One Simple Label Legitimizes Human Rights Abuse
Author(s): Lara M. Garner
Ref: (p24) Footnote 21. The BBC, Corsets, Gracious Instruments of Torture - Health, Punishment and Oppression, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A592003 (accessed March 31,2003). The second part of the section on corsets came from this source.
h2g2 link: A592003 - Corsets, Gracious Instruments of Torture - Health, Punishment and Oppression
h2g2 author: Phryne
Notes:

Book: Agents under fire: materialism and the rationality of science (Rowman & Littlefield, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Angus J. L. Menuge
Ref: (p5) Country singers and journalists still allude to centrifugal force, but there is no such thing. (Footnote 27. "See, for example, the BBC "Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything" at www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A597152.)
h2g2 link: A597152 - Centrifugal Force
h2g2 author: Son of Roj Blake
Notes:

A Victorian doctor and his patient
Book: Crime: Computer Viruses to Twin Towers (Universal-Publishers, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): H. Thomas Milhorn
Ref: (p360) American Medical Quackery from the 1700s to Today, BBC Online Encyclopedia, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A619427.
h2g2 link: A619427 - American Medical Quackery from the 1700s to Today
h2g2 author: Lentilla
Notes: Links to Classic skin.

Book: Book of lists: subversive facts and hidden information in rapid-fire format (The Disinformation Company, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Russell Kick
Ref: "Karen Silkwood. On November 13, 1974, Karen Silkwood was ready to blow the whistle on the unafe conditions, faulty products and missing radioactive material at a Kerr McGee plutonium plant... " Ref: 11 Whistle-blowers (selected sources) ... 'Karen Silkwood - Campaigner'. BBC h2g2 website.
h2g2 link: A634213 - Karen Silkwood - Campaigner
h2g2 author: Not Banned Yet
Notes:

Book: The undergraduate's companion to children's writers and their web sites (Libraries Unlimited, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Jen Stevens
Ref: Web Sites: "Beatrix Potter." BBC h2g2. Last accessed 11 Dec. 2003. http://www.bbc.co.uk/ dna/h2g2/alabaster/A642151. Biographical sketch.
h2g2 link: A642151 - Beatrix Potter - Children's Author
h2g2 author: Swiv et al
Notes: Links to alabaster skin.

Book: Designing virtual worlds (New Riders, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Richard A. Bartle
Ref: "The expectations that players have of a virtual world's physics don't have to map directly onto reality, if the context is right. The most conspicuous example is that of a genre boasting its own physics: cartoons. In cartoons, when you run off a cliff you don't fall until you realize you ran off a cliff. The laws of nature do apply, just not in the same way." Footnote 74: See Cartoon Laws of Physics... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A645095.
h2g2 link: A645095 - The Laws of Cartoon Physics
h2g2 author: SPINY
Notes: Links to Alabaster skin.

A bright red poppy in a field.
News: The Guardian (London), 9 Nov, 2004
Section: Guardian Education: Teach: Critics' choice
Title: The web: Remembrance Day
Author(s): Jim Merrett
Ref: BBC www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A653924 Suitable for KS1/2 teachers. The site provides information about the use of poppies for Remembrance Day and also explains how the fallen are remembered in some other countries. Brief details of Remembrance Day activities are provided and part of the poem The Fallen is quoted. Mention is also made of the use of the white poppy as a symbol for peace and this could provoke some interesting discussion.
h2g2 link: A653924 - Remembrance Day - Poppy Day
h2g2 author: Researcher 168963 et al
Notes: Article link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2004/nov/09/teaching.schools

Journal: Goshen College: Symposium 2004
Article: Performance Practice of Baroque Vocal Technique
Author(s): Andrea Bontrager
Ref: "Bibliography: Almirena. Baroque Vocal Ornamentation ? The Elaborate Pearls of the Voice. Ed. GTBacchus. 16 April 2003. BBCi h2g2. [17 Oct. 2003] ."
h2g2 link: A694631 - Baroque Vocal Ornamentation - The Elaborate Pearls of the Voice
h2g2 author: Almirena
Notes: Goshen was founded in 1894 with a mission to educate young people while serving the church and the world. Today it's a nationally recognized, private Christian college and the number one destination for forward-thinking peacemakers.

News: The Times Educational Supplement, 26 Mar, 2004
Section: Good Practice; No.4576; Pg.7
Title: Dates For Assembly
Author(s): David Self
Ref: March 31: Oranges and Lemons: On this day, London children are given gifts of citrus fruit... The full song and background information is on a BBCi website: www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A696125
h2g2 link: A696125 - 'Oranges and Lemons' - The Nursery Rhyme
h2g2 author: Boredom Busters
Notes: Article link: http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=392863

Journal: Linguistica e filologia, 19(2004), p. 75-96
Article: Cooperation, bona-fide mode of communication, and the violation of Grice's maxims
Author(s): Michele Sala
Ref: The discrepancy between the speaker’s and the listener’s intention might be more drastic when some maxim violation (especially if unostentatious) is part of the utterance. Consider the following example: (10) I enjoy avant-guard music – chords are so passé! (at http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A700958)
h2g2 link: A700958 - Irony
h2g2 author: Just zis Guy
Notes: Links to the Alabaster skin.

Book: The queer encyclopedia of the visual arts (Cleis Press, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Claude J. Summers
Ref: (p140)"David Hockney, Artist" h2g2. www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/alabaster/A710821
h2g2 link: A710821 - David Hockney - Artist
h2g2 author: Emily
Notes: 1. Links to unedited entry. Edited version is at A718030 - David Hockney - Artist
2. Links to the Alabaster skin.

Book: America Won the Vietnam War! (Xulon Press, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Robert R. Owens
Ref: Chapter 11: "http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A715060 (11-15-03). H2G2: BBC Homepage."
h2g2 link: A715060 - War and Protest - the US in Vietnam (1972-1975)
h2g2 author: Deidzoeb et al
Notes:

News: Anchorage Daily News (Alaska), 17 Oct, 2004
Section: Life; Pg. H10
Title: Battle score: Britten's 'War Requiem' a challenge for local choristers
Author(s): Mark Baechtel
Ref: Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem" will be presented by the Anchorage Concert Chorus and the Alaska Chamber Singers with the Alaska Children's Choir at 8 p.m. Saturday in Atwood Concert Hall at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts... FOR MORE on Britten and the requiem, go to: www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A735734
h2g2 link: A735734 - Benjamin Britten's War Requiem
h2g2 author: Bels
Notes:

Book: Midwestern folklore, Volumes 30-31 (Dept. of English, Indiana State University, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Indiana State University. Dept. of English, Hoosier Folklore Society
Ref: (p51) "An Explanation of 133t Speak http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A787917"
h2g2 link: A787917 - An Explanation of l33t Speak
h2g2 author: Thrid
Notes:

Book: E-retailing (Routledge, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Charles E. Dennis et al.
Ref: (p245) To the students at the University of Capetown, South Africa, on 6 June 1966, Senator Robert F Kennedy said, 'There is a Chinese curse which says, "May he live in interesting times". Like it or not, we live in interesting times.' Despite serious questions as to the origin of the phrase, that is, that the phrase is more likely to be of Western origin than Chinese ... References: Editor (2002) The Quote 'May You Live in Interesting Times', BBC, www.bbc.co.uk/ dna/h2g2/alabaster/A807374 [accessed 26 September 2003]
h2g2 link: A807374 - The Quote 'May You Live in Interesting Times'
h2g2 author: Telcontar
Notes: Links to the Alabaster skin.

A rocket blasting off
Book: The First Man in Space (World Almanac Library, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): David Cullen
Ref: (p46) Web Sites: www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A862689 Discover the details and the secrecy behind the world's first manned spaceflight.
h2g2 link: A862689 - Vostok 1: The First Manned Space Flight
h2g2 author: Bravie2001
Notes:

Book: Menhirs, dolmen, and circles of stone: the folklore and magic of sacred stone (Algora, 2004)
Article:
Author(s): Gary R. Varner
Ref: "The first recorded reference of the stone came in the 10th century, when it was mentioned on a list of lands and rents belonging to Ethelstone, King of the West Saxons. Some of the property was listed as being 'near unto London stone'." Footnote 310. 'The London Stone,' http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A791101 January 14th, 2004.
h2g2 link: A863309 - The London Stone
h2g2 author: coelacanth
Notes: 1. Links to unedited version of this entry.
2. Links to Classic skin.

Journal: Journal of Communication Management, Volume 8, Number 4, 2004 , pp. 354-365(12)
Article: On trust: Using public information and warning partnerships to support the community response to an emergency
Author(s): Mike Granatt
Ref: "Modern daily life is sustained by transnational networks of unprecedented complexity, uncharted dependencies and unsuspected susceptibilities. When a failure occurs, the web of effects is often much greater than planning has predicted. Examples are easily found. — on 14th August, 2003, a cascading electricity grid failure affected 50 million people in Canada and the USA" Ref 3. ‘The Great Blackout of 2003’, BBC Online, 15th August, 2003, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1146412.
h2g2 link: A1146412 - The Great Blackout of 2003
h2g2 author: Shea the Sarcastic et al
Notes: Unedited entry.

[Prev][Index][Next]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A49007504

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more